Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Missive to the Proconsul on the Occasion of the Pretender's Escape





From:
Jiana t'Charvon,
aka G'essatra ir'Virinat t'Prell,
Praetor and Fleet Admiral,
Tal Diann
Chief of New Romulan Military Intelligence

To:
Proconsul D'Tan

Jolan'tru, Ehkifv Temjahaere.

When the logs of the "interrogations" of the Pretender were sent to me, I informed you that, in my professional opinion, the civilian government was poorly equipped to deal with her, that the people who were conducting the "interrogations" were not following proper intelligence interrogation procedures and methodology, and that she should be turned over to the JAG Corps of the Tal Diann.

To repeat what I said at that time: the very locations of the so-called "interrogations" were inappropriate. The setting should have been a featureless room completely darkened except for a light over the prisoner casting a small circular light on her and around her. The interrogator should have remained in the darkness. She should have had no reading materials, no technology, no contact with the outside world, no amenities which might offer a trace of solace beyond what any sentient being should be afforded, that her counsel should be a trained and experienced Tal Diann JAG barrister.

Now we see the results of allowing inexperienced civilian personnel to deal with so treacherous and dangerous a prisoner of war. I trust that you will listen to my counsel more closely in the future when dealing with war criminals. We have already conducted courts-martial of such criminals successfully, and I was wrong to concede to the request of Riov t'Jarok that the Pretender be turned over to the civilian government. At the time, however, it seemed like a good idea (although my initial impulse was to shoot the Pretender where she stood, as noted in my report of the incident).

Tal Diann Security forces are now on full alert. Our Special Operations Wing is engaged in a dragnet operation in hopes of locating and recapturing the Pretender. However, they have all been ordered to take her "dead or alive." It matters little to me whether she survive to stand trial or no. In fact, as I have already told you, if I locate her myself, I will not hesitate to execute her on the spot. No matter what information she may or may not have about the Ikonnsu, it cannot be worth allowing her to go unpunished for her crimes against peace, her crimes against Romulanity, and her crimes against Remanity. Since you gave ear to what I said, but offered no reply, I will assume that you do not wish to officially approve my plan, but privately have no objection to it. As such, I will proceed as I advised at that time.

In response to an inquiry from one of your staff, let me clarify my position: by no means would I desire for martial law to be imposed; the civilian government is proper. Your leadership is the leadership our peoples need. My support for your government has not wavered. However, it is my contention that war criminals should be judged, not by the civilian justice system, but by the Military Internal Affairs Wing of the Tal Diann(specifically, our JAG Corps), and that interrogations of such prisoners should be left to the Military Intelligence Wing of the Tal Diann. These are, after all, two of the primary functions of the Tal Diann.

I trust you are well, and I hope to personally deliver news of the Pretender's death to you shortly.

Ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei.





No comments:

Post a Comment